Monday, February 15, 2010

Bedouin Prince of the Baharia Oasis

Ok, he's not really a prince, but in the community of the Baharia Oasis, Tammer is a very influential man and I'm betting that one day he will be their leader. I was fortunate to be invited to dinner at his house, to hear him play flutes that he created himself, to crash a wedding party, and to go to a club where he and friends played amazing Bedouin music for much of the night.It was an unforgetable day and one that I don't think you will find in any of the travel guides. I learned firsthand that Bedouin hospitality is both magical and real.
Stay tuned for picures of all of the above plus pictures of other desert adventures.
As for now, I'm getting looks from the staff of the Winter Palace in Luxor where I am "borrowing" wifi to send this to you.
More when I get back to Cairo in 2 weeks.
Stay warm if you are in any of the snowy or cold areas.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: