Thursday, March 18, 2010

Herero Dress

This woman is wearing the traditional dress of the Herero tribe. I had just spent several hours in Windhoek's excellent anthropology museum learning more about the different tribes when I walked past this woman in downtown Windhoek. She let me take her picture for 10 Rand (about one dollar).
This is my 7th African country and I have a feeling that Namibia has more of the "traditional" Africa that we Americans have come to expect - based on what we have read in "National Geographic" and what we have seen and heard in movies. For example,
I heard my first click today. In movies somewhere in my past I remember hearing Africans speaking with a clicking noise. Today at the museum, 2 women were chatting and the conversation was filled with clicks. My guide Etienne explained that the Dama language actually has 6 different clicking noises that are used as part of speech. It's amazing hearing all 6 of them - especially when I can hardly make one basic click. Six variations are impossible for me.
Secondly, the anthropology museum showed that there are several tribes who have decided not to dress as missionaries have taught - but to maintain their original tribal outfits. For women it means topless (except for beautiful jewelry) and a short leather mini skirt. The Himba, in northern Namibia continue to dress like this and also cover their bodies in a red clay.
I've been told that most tribes people will dress differently when they come to town, but at home, they wear the traditional dress.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: