Sunday, March 09, 2008

Iguassu Falls and a Visit to Paraguay

With an exchange rate of 1 American Dollar = 4,672 Paraguay Pesos, a quick trip across the border was the first order of business after I booked a hotel on the Brazil side of the falls. I started the day searching for an English speaking guide. On short notice I had the choice of Japanese or German, and this is how I met Helena (upper left hand pic). It's amazing how quickly the German comes back when you need it. Helena was Brazilian but learned German from Grandparents who had immigrated from Germany.
Her advice was to travel to Paraguay first, before visiting the falls. My luggage had been demolished by the airline and this was a chance to get a cheap suitcase.
The actual border crossing took almost an hour because so many people enter Paraguay every day to work in the electronics industry.
My first impression of the shopping area was of Tijuana Mexico - hundreds of stalls with people hawking their wares. Tube socks and soft drinks seemed to be the hot items of the day. Helena led me into a shopping center type of building and my impression changed. Every type of technology was on sale for unbelievable prices. I wish that I had done my homework ahead of time to buy a laptop. It was techno heaven. If you are visiting the Falls, this side trip is highly recommended if you need laptops or the latest gadget at unheard of prices.
On to the Falls.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: