Sunday, March 09, 2008

Endless Walkways-Argentine Side of Iguassu Falls

It is worth it to go through all the hasstle of getting through the border check to see the Argentine side of the Falls. Actually over 70% of the 275 falls are in Argentina. Altogther the falls displace 1350 cubic meters of water a second, except in September. This is the rainy season and that number is multiplied by 10 causing all of the extensive network of walkways to be shut down. In 1992 the rainy season was so bad that the walkways were washed away and what you see in my pics is the new and improved network.
With Helena guiding me, I spent the morning working through the walkways and taking hundreds of pictures. Looking down at the people riding rafts into the falls convinced me that I had to try it and it was the ride of a lifetime. If you decide to try it - here is my advice, (as usual, learned the hard way).
Wear a bathing suit under your clothes.
Wear tennis shoes.
Be in excellent condition for the walk back up the mountain.
Bring ear plugs. You really do go into the falls and the water is coming at you from all directions.
Don't forget to breathe. I had to keep reminding myself as the cold water was pounding away at me.
More photos of the walkways and the raft ride are on the google site mentioned in my last blog, and by the way, the hyperlink works! Just click on the address typed in color. Happy Trails and Happy Viewing!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: