Monday, March 10, 2008

Ibirapuera Park, Sao Paulo Brazil

Combine hundreds of skate boarders, cyclists, Moms pushing prams, families picnicing, couples on blankets, guys playing soccer, vendors everywhere, and put them in a huge perfectly maintained park with fountains, palm trees, exotic flowers and plants, sculpture pieces, and numerous Museums, and you will get Ibirapuera Park. In one day I could only scratch the surface of the museums and surrounding area. It was obvious that it served as a sanctuary for many of Sao Paulo's residents and everyone was out on a beautiful day, enjoying everything it had to offer.
It was a fitting end to my brief time in Sao Paulo and also an end to my time in Brazil. The next stop is Santiago Chile.
Regrets for Sao Paulo? As I wrote in an earlier blog, I wish that I had known that Carnivale is celebrated early there. I would have purchased tickets before leaving the US. I have since checked my guide books and none of them mention the Carnivale date. I was there the first weekend in Feb, so if you plan to visit then, get tickets ahead of time. When I arrived they were sold out and scalpers prices were exhorbitant.
In all, my time in Brazil was an enchantment in a land of beautiful people. Think Girl from Ipanema and Rio de Janeiro and bikini bathing suits called "dental floss." You get the picture...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: