Monday, March 10, 2008

Final Thoughts on Iguassu Falls Visit

The Falls were the best part of the South America trip, but just a few tips on the town itself, (Iguassu Falls in Brazil). There is nothing there to see beyond the falls described in my previous blogs. The few restaurants I could find were all-you-can-eat buffets - huge halls with formica tables and mountains of food for 3-6 American dollars. A fantastic deal by any standards, but sometimes you want a really nice sit down meal. One day we passed a restaurant with a huge sign that advertising a "German Beer Garden." Fantastic - German food, I thought. It turned out to be a pizza place. Good pizza, but still a pizza place.
Also getting cash advances on credit cards turned into a bear. I was sent to six consecutive banks (a 10 mile hike up steep hills) before I finally found a Bank of Brazil that would give me an advance. The beaurocracy and number of people involved in giving me $100 cash advance was staggering. The show was great, however, because standard office clothing was very tight midriff bearing low cut clothes for the women and very tight slacks and shirts for the guys; a kind of "Miami Vice" of banking. Would love for it to catch on here in the US.
As for the eternal quest for money, I later found that my Wachovia check card was perfect for cash advaces on any ATM anywhere during the entire trip.
In short, see the Falls and the parks, but don't plan on spending any time in the town itself.
Onward to Sao Paulo Brazil. Happy Trails until then.

No comments: