Wednesday, December 29, 2010

BoxingDayInCroatia


In England and Australia the day after Christmas Day is called Boxing Day and no one can explain why. Those of us celebrating it here were drenched with cold rain. It was only 50 degrees Fahrenheit (7 C ?), but the local version of the Northeaster was rolling in. It sounds like "Boolia," so forgive the spelling. It usuually lasts 3-4 days and can reach up to 100 mph. With the windchill, it was well below freezing, so please forgive the shakey photos.My waterproof shoes failed miserably and by the end of the day, I found one tiny shoe store that sold me a pair of all weather boots for $20. It's a little like wearing my Dad's shoes when I was a kid - so I can't sneak up on anyone.

1 comment:

Ellen Thompson said...

It's called boxing day because it is when you gather up al the boxes from christmas presents and take them out to the trash. Canada adopted it from England.