Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tea Time in the Oasis

At least 6 times a day, it's time to stop everything for tea. You throw down a rug, start a fire and brew a pot, which you share with anyone who happens to be there. To my right in the picture is my guide Adel and to my left is driver extraordinaire Heesham. Tourists cannot legally travel through the western desert alone and they kept me safe and informed. In the 4 day trip there were at least 20 border stops where an army official had to see all our papers and hear an explanation of what we were doing there. Some of the border stops were out in the desert 100 miles from anything and I think the guards were just happy to talk to anyone. There was always a lot of chatting in Arabic and then everyone would look at me and then more chatting in Arabic and more looks at me. Depending on the isolation of the post - this would take a while.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: