Monday, November 10, 2008

Trip to Teseque

Take the highway north toward Taos and you will travel through at least 3 Indian reservations. Teseque, the closest one to Santa Fe, is near the Santa Fe Opera House and is host to a huge flea market on weekends. During any visits to the Flea Market or any of the Indian Pueblos, cameras are strictly prohibited. If you are caught taking pictures the cameras will be confiscated.
The flea market covered several acres and was a treasure of artwork (both local and international), carpets, jewelry, clothing, furniture, food, etc. Everything seemed to come with a story. A table I looked at was expensive because "it was used in a covered wagon coming across the US." The stories were priceless.
Driving on to find the Teseque Pueblo was an adventure. The sign on the main highway was huge, but once I took the exit, any signs disappeared. I spent an hour driving back roads (many of them dirt) before I finally found my way to the pueblo. In general, pueblos are usually multistory adobe dwellings built around a central courtyard. The Teseque Pueblo had a beautiful Catholic Church as one side of the square and another side was the original ancient two story adobe building. The other two sides were newer adobe homes. I walked through the center square of swept dirt to get a good look at the Church and was struck by the absolute silence. I didn't see or hear anyone. Dogs were sleeping near each of the houses but none made a sound. In a way I felt that I was intruding in a private part of the lives of the people who live there.
Tomorrow the tribe will hold a special dance at the Pueblo and I'm hoping that I can find my way back there. This time the public is invited.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: