Monday, November 03, 2008

The Santa Fe Opera

Many consider the Santa Fe Opera second only to the Metropoliton Opera in New York. This is saying a lot for an opera in a town of 68,000 people but it is born out by numerous publications and guide books, and definitely by any of the locals. Everyone takes great pride in our opera and it is one of many reasons why I decided to move here. One of my first trips after getting settled was to drive north to see it. It took about 20 minutes to get there and the drive, once it leaves the city, is beautiful. It seems to change in the blink of an eye from conjested city to desert surrounded by mountains. An exit off the main highway takes you winding up a 2 lane road to the opera house itself. I was very lucky because this is not opera season and workers had left the gates open so I helped myself to a tour around the structure.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: