Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Last Day at Hotel Ancud -Farewell Isle de Chiloe

After living at the Hotel Ancud for a week, it was like leaving home on that last day. I had settled in to waking to the crisp mornings with the smell of the wood-burning fireplace, the cafe con leche and yards of breakfast goodies, the warm and gracious staff, and the suns glow over the beautiful bay. Even the wooden floors and log walls seem to take on the sunlit glow.
My last morning there brought a pleasant surprise - for the first time in my trip to South America, I heard Americans speaking. I love travelling on my own, but after three weeks, it was a treat to finally speak to someone without my dictionary and hand gestures. The California couple kindly invited me to join their breakfast table and I couldn't stop talking. They were charming and extremely tolerant of the strange rabid woman sharing breakfast with them. For me, a nice ending to my time in Isle de Chiloe. Onward to the resort town of Puerto Montt.

No comments: