Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Evita Tour - Buenos Aires, Argentina

Okey, I've already admitted to being an Evita groupie. The contradictions (saint or sinner?), the cinderella elements, her political savvy and power in her place and time, her very early death, and the subsequent mysteries around her travelling body and final return to Buenos Aires, is the stuff of legends.
So of course I signed up for the Evita tour. The first good sign was that it consisted of three of us plus a driver and Natalin, our guide. (I'm that annoying person in your tour group who asks a million questions, so it is more merciful for others if I'm in a small group.)
The rest of my group was a charming newlywed couple from Canada who raised bees for a living. Every winter they lock the hives and bees in a barn and take several months to travel the world. I kept trying to get them to adopt me so that I could travel along.
The tour was beyond expectations and included the Evita Museum, the famous Recoleta Cemetery where she is now buried, the cafe that she frequented, the offices where she worked, and a chance to meet one of her coworkers (now in his 80s), who has collected memorabelia from his time working with Evita. Let's go!

No comments: