Saturday, October 22, 2005

Return to India and a Visit to Mumbai (formerly known as Bombay)

The 3 days in Bhutan ended much too quickly. My recommendation for anyone planning to visit - take at least a week. In 3 days most of the trip (80% ???) involves driving from place to place, leaving you little time for sightseeing and getting to know the people....Leaving Bhutan, the last wild ride to the airport took over 5 hours and included a mad search for an ATM in the small towns in India on the way to the airport. It was great fun showing Kinsang his first ATM and how it worked. Sign seen on the way to the airport; "It's a highway - Not a runway - Don't take off." Great advice when you are driving on a single lane winding around a mountain at 9,000 ft.... The flight to Mumbai brought me to the nicest hotel I have ever experienced - Le Royal Meridian. Imagine if the Four Seasons took over the Taj Mahal. The hotel experience alone was worth the trip: major pampering at 1/3 the cost of the Four Seasons. They had to force me to leave, kicking and screaming. Delhi may be the capital of India, but Mumbai is the financial and trade center. It is a huge bustling city on a beautiful harbor, filled with spectacular 200 year old British architecture. For the first time on my trip, my guide was female, a wonderful woman named Puja. The majority of people in India are Hindu and so much of Indian culture is intertwined with Hindu beliefs. Puja had a passion for the subject and brought so much of ancient India alive for me, especially the ferry trip to Elephant Island (an ancient Hindu holy site). Elephant Island is also the home of countless monkeys. My last image of the island was a monkey sitting beside me drinking a can of orange Fanta, just like any other tourist....Most of the time in Mumbai, however, I was on my own exploring. A took took (3 wheeled golf cart/taxi) took me to a "shopping center" - translation 3 story store about the size of a CVS. Fun shopping but the trip back brought an extra challenge - no one wanted to take me back to the hotel. I showed the card with the hotel name and address to 4 drivers and each said "no." Finally a kind stranger (like the ones I have always depended upon), had a lengthy animated discussion with one of the drivers and he agreed to take me. Unfortunately he took me to the wrong hotel and had no idea where my hotel was located. At this point we drew a huge crowd of took took drivers. They all said they knew how to get to my hotel and would take me for a price, but no one was willing to help my driver with instructions. I finally called the hotel and the desk clerk gave the driver instructions (in Hindi) and we were off in the right direction. He was going to charge me $2.00 for the 2 hour adventure but my conscience made me pay him much more for the effort.....Next stop - Hong Kong, and visits to Xi'an China and Tibet. Namaste, Marion

No comments: