Saturday, October 08, 2005

Bhutan: The Secret and Gaurded Treasure

My first morning in Bhutan was a tad startling when Kinzang showed up in a dress. Actually it was the national outfit for men called a "Go." Having seen no pictures of the people and knowing nothing about the culture, it took me by surprise. After that, I realized how good it looks; somewhere between a short kimona and the outfit worn by samurai warriors. Walking out of the hotel, I saw that all men were wearing gos and the women where wearing floor length skirts topped with blouses, (much simpler than the saris worn by the women of India). It turns out that wearing the traditional go is mandated by law and you can be fined for not wearing it, (fashion police?). Also, the entire country is smokefree, but I could smoke in my room....At first I found all of the restrictions hard to understand, but after experiencing the country, I realize why so much is being done to protect it. It is a place frozen in time within the unparalleled beauty of the green mountains. There is so much dignity and pride in the people. Perhaps because the country is primarily Buddhist, I found myself settling in to the calm zen-like rythm of the country. Everyone smiles and waves and the country is filled with lovely Bhuddist shrines, temples, and prayer flags. Homes are decorated in the unique designs that remind me of the mountainous areas of Nepal and Tibet. Personally, I'm torn over the fight against change in Bhutan. You can't find Visa, Master, or American Express cards, ATMs, convenience stores, chain restaurants, American type stores, etc., but after being there - it is easy to see why they work so hard to protect what they have. There are no easy answers. For now, it is a rare opportunity to see and experience life on much simpler terms, in a gorgeous setting......Next stop - back to India for a week in Mumbai (formerly known as Bombay) before heading to Hong Kong.....Namaste, Marion

No comments: